¼ C grapeseed oil
3/8-1/2 C applesauce
½ C brown sugar
1 t vanilla
½ C whole wheat flour
½ C white flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
¼ t salt
1 t cinnamon
(¼ t nutmeg)
1½ C grated carrots
1/3 C chopped pecans or walnuts
- Make the applesauce by simmering a chopped apple with a little lemon juice (just to keep the color). Cook, covered, over a very low flame until the apple is soft. Set aside to cool to room temp.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Line a 8x8” square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, applesauce, sugar, vanilla.
- Sift in dry ingredients and mix. Stir in carrots. Fold in nuts.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.